Entry #426 February 22, 2011
We are approaching the end of February, and that means that “Making your life easier” month will be closing out to make way for a new Stagetecture theme in March.
While I was ‘thumbing’ through my February iPad issue of Martha Stewart Living – I came across another great DIY project from your hardware store! This one is a wine rack made from PVC pipe.
Remember last month Country Living had the great DIY cardboard tube display area for your home? Well this time Martha Stewart and her staff have put together a great wine rack. See how to make it below:
Martha Stewart – Modern Wine Rack
No one will guess that this sleek, modern wine rack is made of PVC pipe from a hardware store. The design is completely flexible, so you can create one to fit inside any shelf or cabinet and paint it to suit your own decor.
Tools and Materials:
- 4-inch PVC pipe
- Indoor/outdoor all-purpose spray primer
- Spray paint
- Industrial-strength self-adhesive Velcro strips
Modern Wine Rack How-To:
Cut pipe to desired length or have it done at the hardware store. Choose a spot for the wine rack that has supports on both sides, such as a cabinet. Then use Velcro strips to stabilize your configuration.
1. Using hacksaw, cut lengths of pipe to fit the depth of your cabinet or shelf.
2. Sand the cut edges smooth. Wipe the outside of the pipe with acetone to remove any oils, which would prevent the paint from adhering.
3. Spray pipes with primer; when dry, spray them with paint.
4. Once dry, join pipes to one another and to the base of your cabinet or shelf using Velcro strips.
For more DIY projects and ideas, click here.