DIY Air Fresheners to Bring Spring into your Home
One way to brighten your home is to freshen up the atmosphere. Everyone likes to smell nice things. Fresh scents with in a home cause the home to become more lively, productive and happier. A fragrance has that much of an effect on the human body that if the right scents were mix together it can lead the human to sleep and work better, reduce stress, and calm the atmosphere. Now here are some ways to create your own air fresheners for your own home.
Image via: Inspiration i Vitt
1) Bottled Oil Spray Freshener
Image via: She Knows
- 1 cup of Distilled Water
- ¼ cup of Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol)
- Approx. 20 drops of a combination of 1-3 Essential Oils of your choice
- 12 Ounce Spray Bottle
- Combine then shake together the alcohol and essential oils in the 12 ounce spray bottle, until the oil is well dispersed throughout the alcohol.
- Add in the distilled water and shake again, this time dispersing the alcohol into the water which will take about 1-2 min for the combination to come together.
- Do not try to mix all of the ingredients together at one time, oil and water do not mix so that is the purpose behind the combination of the alcohol and oil first then the water.
- An essential oil homemade air freshener is than some of the commercialized ones so 1-3 spray around the room should suffice.
- Buy small quantities of oil so that you know which fragrances you prefer to use for the freshener.
- Choose fragrances that you like and do not try to mix more than 1-3 fragrances at once because it might not have a pleasing fragrance. Also choose one main fragrance with the most drops for it then 2 other fragrances that accompany around it with lesser drops of them.
2) Simmering Potpourri Freshener
Image via: Babble
- Small Pot
- 1 cup of 1” Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/8 cup of whole Cloves
- 1/8 cup of Allspice
- 1/8of Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon of Dried Flowers
- 1 tablespoon of Dried Fruits
- Take the small pot and put it on medium heat. Fill it with the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, water and ground ginger. Add the vanilla extract; let the mixture simmer on the top of the stove adding water as it evaporates. (Make sure to never the pot unattended, not letting the water completely evaporate)
- If you are using fruits and flowers, then the process would still be the same except substitute the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice and ground ginger with dried flowers and fruits. Again making sure to keep filling the water as it evaporates and not letting it completely evaporate.
3) Dryer Sheet Fresheners
Image via: Sand and Sisal
- 1 box of Dryer Sheets
- When freshening, a home with dryer sheets it is all about placement. Basically, you would want to put them in key spots around the house such as: in the air vents, underneath the sofa cushions, dresser drawers, etc.
Image via: Occa-Home
- 1 cup of Water
- 1 tablespoon of Vinegar
- Mix and boil the vinegar and water together. (This helps with trying to get rid of intense cooking odors)
- Once the mixture begins to boil then turn it off and let it sit. The vinegar smell takes a few minutes to dissipate and leaves the air smelling great. This can also be a bottled freshener and spray it to freshen up the air. For truly stubborn odors leave few tablespoons of vinegar in a small bowl on your counter for 1-3 hours.
For more DIY ideas on Stagetecture, click here.