Summer Picnic Side: Southern Style Hush Puppies Recipe
Entry #2464, May 26, 2013
A summer picnic is always something to look forward to. You get to bond with your loved ones and share precious moments together. Of course, picnic won’t be complete without the sumptuous food that will highlight your picnic. More often than not, you have grilled, fried and steamed food to serve and indulge. If there is one thing Southerners know how to do is cook great comfort food and hush puppies are one of those favorites.
If you are still looking for a recipe to add to your menu, try the Southern Style Hush Puppies. This recipe is perfect for a summer picnic as you can cook it ahead and store. You can just reheat the Southern Style Hush Puppies by wrapping them in a foil and place on top of the grill. It comes with easy to prepare ingredients and quick to cook. You will definitely love this recipe for your future summer getaway.
Summer Picnic Side: Southern Style Hush Puppies
Image via: Ezra Pound Cake
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
Image via: My Recipes
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
This should yield around 1 ½ dozen of delicious hush puppies in a bowl. You can simply cook ahead and store in a fridge. Then, reheat the Southern Style Hush Puppies recipe before serving. You can choose your favorite dips like mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet and sour sauce or anything that suits your taste.
For more summer recipes on Stagetecture, click here.