If you will be having overnight guests during the holiday season, you may want to consider this blueberry French toast recipe for breakfast. Perfect for any holiday brunch, it’s filled with fresh blueberries and topped with rich berry sauce. You can also choose to serve the blueberry sauce on the side. If strawberry is your preference, tweak the recipe to make it yours!
Holiday Brunch: Overnight Blueberry French Toast
Total time: Preparation 15 minutes + Cooking 1 hour 15 minutes
12 slices day old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
8 ounce (2 packages) cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup fresh blueberries
12 beaten eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
- Lightly grease a 9*13 inch baking dish. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle with 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese and top it with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and maple syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator approximately 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the cornstarch, sugar, and water. Bring to boil. Stirring constantly, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter and pour over the baked French toast.
Creamy, gooey, and crunchy at the same time, this holiday brunch recipe will certainly have your guests talking. Leftover sauce, if any would be great on pancakes, waffles, or pound cake. Give it a try!
For more holiday brunch ideas on Stagetecture, click here.