Entry #2337, April 24, 2013
Bring back the golden days of warm summer nights, sitting on the porch with the music playing and family members gathered around. There had been a great barbeque a few hours before and now after it was time for the dessert and a huge pan of homemade banana pudding for everyone to have at least two healthy helpings of. Now it is today and this creamy, fluffy taste of heaven is yours for the making, create new memories with this dish for all to enjoy!
Homemade Southern Style Banana Pudding
Image via: My Recipes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 4 Large Egg, Separated
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup of Sugar
- 2 1/4 of Milk
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 2 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 3 1/3 cups of Vanilla Wafers
- 3 tablespoons of Sugar
Image via: Shopruche
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together in a small bowl the 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon salt. Then in medium-sized heavy sauce pan whisk together the previous mixture, 4 egg yolks, and milk until the combination is thoroughly well blended.
- Cook the mixture over a medium heat, being sure to stir constantly for about 6-8 minutes or until it is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Layer half of the vanilla wafers in an 8-inch square baking dish, top that layer with a layer of half banana slices and half pudding. Repeat the process with the remaining wafers, banana slices and pudding.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until it becomes foamy gradually adding 3 tablespoons of sugar, keep beating the sugar until it dissolves and stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pudding all the way to the edge of the dish sealing the dish.
- Then place the dish into the oven for 7-10 minutes or until golden, then let it cool for 30 minutes and serve warm or chill an additional hour and serve cold.
For more dessert recipes on Stagetecture, click here.