Spring is the perfect time to make the most of all that Mother Nature has to offer. The season is like a breath of fresh air – flowers bloom, colors abound, and the sun shines. If you want to bring the joy of spring into your home, make this spring craft. You can embed your favorite flowers onto candles for a personalized craft. This method works very well with flat blooms and leaves with interesting shapes.
Spring Craft: How to Make Dried Flower Candles
Fresh or dried flowers (like violets or pansies)
Fresh or dried leaves
2 pounds of kitty litter or silicone beads
Plain white candles
5 pounds of paraffin wax
- If you are using fresh flowers and leaves, spread the kitty litter on a cookie sheet and place them on top. Spread more kitty litter on top to cover the flowers and leaves. Place the cookie sheet in a cool dry place and leave it for at least one week. You can also use silicone beads to dry the flowers and leaves. They will dry them in 48 hours or less.
- Remove the flowers and leaves from the cookie sheet and place them on a sheet of paper.
- Use the craft adhesive to affix the leaves and flowers on the candles. Attach one piece at a time and press it firmly against the candle.
- Heat a boiler over medium heat to 205⁰ Melt the paraffin wax.
- Hold the wick of the candle and dip the candle in the wax. Hold for 5 seconds then remove. Check to make sure that the flowers are flat.
- Dip the candle a second time for 5 seconds. Remove and leave to dry for 2 hours.
- Trim the wick then use your candle as desired.
Candles are mostly appreciated for their scents and rarely for their beauty but this spring craft will change that. Your candles will fill your home with wonderful smells as well as beauty. You can place them on the mantel as decorative home accents or give them to your loved ones as gifts. Either way, they will be appreciated.
Which flowers will you use for this simple DIY craft?