Summer is a season for enjoying an abundance of mouthwatering desserts. Whether your sweet tooth drives you towards an ice cream or a cake, this dual style summer dessert have got all the sweetness you desire. Without taking much of your time, we point you this chocolate, salted caramel ice cream cake recipe.
Summer Dessert: Chocolate Salted Caramel Ice-Cream Cake
Image via: SBS
Total time: 6 hours 30 minutes
Yields: 10 servings
3 cups pure cream
1 cup milk
8 egg yolks
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
300g finely chopped dark chocolate
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup extra pure cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
Fresh raspberries or strawberries to serve, optional
Grated dark chocolate to serve
Image via: Bakers Corner
- Heat milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to simmer but don’t boil. Remove from the heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar and egg yolks until very thick and pale. Gradually add the hot cream mixture in a thin, steady stream while beating. Return to a fresh saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from the heat.
- In a heatproof bowl, place 100g of chocolate. Pour over ½ of the hot custard. Stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture turns smooth and well combined. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, place remaining sugar. Cook, stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until sugar is melted and caramelizes. Slowly stir in ¼ cup cold water and return mixture to heat. Again cook for 2 minutes or until toffee dissolves completely. Add to the remaining custard mixture and stir in salt.
- Place caramel ice creams and chocolate into 2 separate airtight containers. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until set.
- Line a 6.5 cm deep, 7 cup capacity loaf pan with a plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Slowly transfer ½ of the caramel ice cream to a food processor and process until smooth. Spoon over the prepared pan, and level. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes or until just firm.
- Transfer chocolate ice cream to the food processor. Process until smooth and spoon over caramel layer in the pan. Spread to level. Cover and freeze for half hour or until firm. Repeat the process with remaining caramel ice cream. Cover and freeze for four hours or until set.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining chocolate, cream, and coffee over low heat. Cook, stirring until smooth and well combined. Let it stand for 10 -15 minutes. Turn out ice cream onto a serving plate. Top with raspberries or strawberries if desired and grated chocolate. Drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.
For the ultimate dessert decadence, try this chocolate, salted caramel ice cream cake. We guarantee it will become your summer dessert favorite.
For more desserts on Stagetecture, click here.