Are you trying to determine what to serve this weekend? If you want to bake a complete meal recipe, that has inspiration from the Mediterranean why not make a pizza? You can also have vegetables and meat combined or solo as your toppings. Whether you are having guests over for a fun night together, or you are getting ready for the big game try this Mediterranean Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust!
Mediterranean Inspired Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella and provolone cheese blend
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and sun-dried tomatoes
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Stir flours and 1/2 teaspoon salt into yeast mixture. Gradually add 1/3 cup cold water, stirring until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes). Roll dough into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Place tomato slices on paper towels; let stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, zucchini, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add artichokes and 1 1/2 tablespoons each of basil and oregano; sauté 30 seconds. Drain. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle crust with 1/2 cup cheese blend. Top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese blend. Place tomato slices on top of cheese. Sprinkle with feta cheese and remaining basil and oregano. Bake an additional 6 to 7 minutes or until crust is golden. Serve immediately.
Savor the taste of the Mediterranean and flavorsome aroma of the combined ingredients. This pizza recipe is a perfect choice for your weekend game!
For more food recipes on Stagetecture, click here.