Entry #1831, November 16, 2012
Is your Thanksgiving decor finished yet? How about adding this creative DIY pumpkin craft to your holiday table? A doily is a decorative mat of lace that is usually laid on or even under the plates. It’s a great ornamental mat that has several patterns available for crocheting or knitting. A lot of enthusiasts are still engaged in making this tough laborious hand craft.
However, doilies are not only great for plates but also for pumpkins. Of course, it’s not for Halloween decor rather for fall or the Christmas season. People love orange during the fall season and this makes it perfect to use pumpkin and doily to create a decorative item. Here’s how to create a doily pumpkin decor for your home.
All images & craft via
- Pumpkin (any size)
- Bowl (half-filled with water)
- 4-6 Doilies (you may choose the design and size)
- Liquid Starch
- Prepare all the materials needed. This can be done in a small area.
- Pour starch into a bowl, half-filled with water. Mix it out by stirring the solution for a couple of minutes.
- Then, dip doilies in the liquid starch for about 3 – 5 minutes. Ensure that doilies are properly soaked.
- Place starched doilies on pumpkin carefully and stretch until flat. Continue doing this step until the pumpkin looks they way you want. You can adjust the setup according to your preference.
- After you are satisfied with the looks, let it dry over night.
- Then, wipe off the excess starch carefully.
That should take you around 10 to 15 minutes and you will have a lovely Thanksgiving craft for the dinner table. You can always look and try various doily designs that you think is perfect for your home. The doily pumpkin décor will add more elegance and style to your side table or shelves. You can also place it on your center table as a decorative masterpiece.
For more holiday ideas on Stagetecture, click here.