What could be better than making your own holiday decorations? You can use simple items to bring cheer into your home. If your children love building snowmen, they will enjoy this kids craft. You can even help each of them make one. The project is simple and takes only a few minutes. Don’t be surprised if the snowmen become your children’s favorite toys. At least you’ll know we warned you. Follow these step-by-step instructions for a perfect outcome.
Fun Kids Craft: Sock Snowman for Winter
Image via: Repeat Crafter Me
- 1 white tube sock
- About 1⅓ cups of rice
- Cotton wool
- 3 rubber bands
- Buttons of different colors and sizes
- A small strip of fabric (holiday-themed if possible)
- 2 small sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Additional decorations like ribbons, trinkets, and stickers (optional)
- Permanent marker (optional)
Image via: Freemake
- Fill ¾ of the sock with rice. Tie the first rubber band tightly just above the rice to create the bottom part of the snowman.
- Repeat step one to create the middle part of the snowman.
- Fill the top part with cotton and leave about 4-5 inches of space. Secure the area with a rubber band. At this point, your sock snowman should be able to stand.
- Fold the remaining part over itself to create a beanie.
- Attach the buttons using the hot glue gun. Use one color for the eyes, another for the mouth, and another for the shirt (middle part). You can also use a marker to draw the mouth.
- Tie the small piece of fabric on top of the upper rubber band. This becomes the scarf.
- Make two holes on the sides of the snowman and place the two sticks to create arms. Push them in so they don’t fall out. You can also secure them with hot glue.
- If you have more decorations, put them on the snowman.
Image via: DIY Home Decor
You can make this kids craft any time of year. Don’t wait for a cold, snowy day to have some winter fun! Gather your children and build sock snowmen together. Unlike winter snowmen, they don’t melt. They will put a smile on your guests’ faces and melt your children’s hearts. Your kids will want to make them every year. You’ll love this craft for its inexpensive supplies. If you have the items at home, you won’t have to buy a single thing.
What holiday kids crafts are you making this year?