If you are a chocoholic, than this is the Christmas Chocolate sugar cookie recipe you were looking for. Never mind the classic sugar cookies. This year make some delicious chocolate sugar cookies. They are great for decorating and so tasty, you won’t need another sugar cookie again.
Christmas Treats: Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
(makes about 30-40 cookies, depending on their size)
- 1 ½ cup of sugar, granulated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar, the butter and the shortening.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the baking powder and salt and mix some more.
- Stir in the cocoa and mix until it is well blended.
- Now, add 1 cup of flour at a time. You should end up with soft, fluffy dough.
- Use the dough to make your cookies or wrap in some plastic wrap and chill for about half an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, about ¼ inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 F for about 6-8 minutes.
Thanks to Lila Loa for the recipe. Note that you can omit the shortening and replace it with butter. Also, keep in mind that there is a chance that you will need to add some flour or chill the dough longer in order to be able to roll it out and use cookie cutters. These cookies don’t lose their shape, so they are great for decorating.
This recipe makes soft chocolate sugar cookies that are just great to accompany a nice glass of milk. Also, frosting suits them really well. Some chocolaty, buttery or strawberry frosting would be ideal.
Of course you could dip them into some melted chocolate which would make at the same time a beautiful decoration. Making these cookies will fill your home with a smell of chocolate and Christmassy spirit. Just try not to eat them all before Christmas Eve!
For more Christmas desserts on Stagetecture, click here.