Looking for a DIY craft that is fun and looks beautiful too? You’ve come to the right place. Can you imagine making a dazzling mirror out of egg cartons? Yes, egg cartons. Most of us have them in our homes but we toss them out as soon as the eggs are finished. This craft will give you a reason not to throw away your egg cartons. You can save them and make beautiful mirrors for every room in your home. All you need to do is follow these steps.
DIY Craft: Floral Egg Carton Decorated Mirror
Image via: BHG
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks
Square or circular mirror without a frame
3mm medium density fiberboard
12-cup egg cartons (12 cartons make a large mirror while 5 cartons make a small one)
Black acrylic paint
Picture hanging wire
Fix-all household adhesive
- Cut 4 slits into each corner of an egg-carton cup. The slits should be shaped like petals. Repeat the process to create a second layer of a rose flower. Make a third layer using the same process but this time make the petals smaller and roll them to form a bud shape.
- Join the 3 layers using hot glue and ensure you place the petals of the second layer in the spaces between the petals of the first layer. Place the smaller petals last.
- Repeat this process until you have enough roses to surround your mirror.
- Position your mirror in the center of the MDF. Trace around then remove.
- Measure and mark 3cm from the traced area on all sides of the MDF. Create a line to join the marks.
- Drill 2 holes on the upper part of the frame above the mirror. Put the picture hanging wire and secure it.
- Paint the space that will be unoccupied by the mirror (the frame) with black paint. Glue the mirror using the fix-all adhesive.
- Hot glue the roses to the frame starting at one corner. Bend the petals to fill in gaps where necessary. Continue until the entire frame is covered.
- Hang your decorative mirror!
Image via: Shabby Nest
Flowery embellishments have always been trendy. They can be on clothes one season and on home furnishings the next. If you love flowery décor, you will love this fun DIY craft. It might require more time and materials than other DIY crafts, but the end result is totally worth it! It is also ideal for those who love to recycle. Unmatched in every way, it will add a whimsical touch to your home.
Does our egg carton decorative mirror inspire you?
For more DIY ideas on Stagetecture, click here.