Happy DIY Saturday! Today we are learning how to make candles. Whether you prefer soy, traditional wax or other varieties – making your own candles let’s you customize your own. Today watch a You Tube video for making soy candles in vintage tea cups and then get step by step directions to make other varieties.
You Tube Video – How to Make Candles in Vintage Tea Cups
Click to watch the video –> How to Make Candles in Vintage Tea Cups
Whenever we want to add a serene and calming accent to a room, a candle always comes to mind. Candles bring in natural light, a soothing aroma and a perfect touch to enhance the decor’ of the space. So let’s create your own candles with your own touch of style and have them to fit your interior decor’.
Image via: Wedding Planning Services
How to Make Custom Candles
Hot Glue gun
Double Boiler or Steel Can and Saucepan
Decorations (Ribbons, bows, labels, etc.)
Small Spoon or Chopsticks
Image via: Top Weddings
- Take out the fancy jars for the candles to be made in and trim wicks (same height as the jar it will be in) for each jar.
- Put a small drop of hot glue into the bottom center of the first jar being used and hold the wick standing upright in the hot glue until the glue hardens. To help hold the wick in place.
- Repeat this process for all of the jars.
- Now you can either purchase and melt store-bought candle wax in a double boiler or fill a saucepan with a few inches of water and put in a clean steel can with wax in it. When the water begins to boil then the can will act as a double boiler for the wax.
- Then use a spoon or chopstick to mix the scented oil into the melting wax, one drop at a time, until the desired level of fragrance is reached.
- After the addition of the fragrance, then start to mix in the dye, again one drop at a time until desired coloration is achieved.
- When the scent and color have met your standards then pour the wax into the fancy jars stopping a half inch from the top.
- Let the wax to cool and depending on the size of the jars the process could take up to several hours.
- Get the decorations that you purchased and once the candles have fully cooled down then hot glue the decorations onto the candles and place them around the home.