Guest Blogger #740, Entry #1735, October 18, 2012
From researching moving services and getting in contact with estate agents, to changing billing addresses to the actual move itself. Moving house can be a very emotional, time consuming and pressurised time for anyone. However, by following the guide below the moving process can be made a lot less stressful process.
Preparing correctly and being organised weeks before the move are extremely important. By making the proper arrangements in the build up to the move, the day of the move will be made a lot easier;
Tips to help you make a smoother move:
- Research; Utilise different resources at your disposal; books, internet and friends advice are just some of the options available. You will pick up a number of useful tips on moving that will save you time and money.
- Moving Services; make sure you’ve booked your moving services well in advance of moving day to guarantee you get the date you want. There are certain times of the year that people want to move – generally Spring or Fall as movers are not charging there highest rates.
- Insurance Policy; Take out an insurance policy that covers accidental damage or loss – this includes goods from both properties during the move. It’s well worth looking into third party moving insurance.
- Billing Address; Change you’rebilling addresses or close them this includes gas, electricity and heating accounts. It’s a good idea to get this out of the way first and set a date when you want them to be changed over, so you’re not sitting in a freezing house two weeks before the move.
- Extra Cash; Have cash at your disposal to cover yourself as a number of unexpected issues can arise on the day of the move.
the biggest part of moving, here is a list of tips to remember;
- Write down a list of everything you are packing.
- Never fill a box that it’s so heavy you can’t lift it safely.
- Colour code boxes for each room.
- Use bubble wrap or newspapers when packing fragile items.
- Label or mark boxes.
Try not to hold onto items you don’t use, it can add to the cost of the move, obviously this doesn’t apply to goods that hold sentimental value .
The majority of the hard work should be taken care of before the day of the move. The most important thing to remember that on the day of the move put a plan in place and follow that plan;
- Assignment of roles; It’s tradition on the day of the move that friends and family members will come around to give a helping hand. Do not let it turn into a social gathering and make sure everybody knows what they need to do. Assign people different jobs.
- Make a list; create a recording system of how many boxes you have, what’s in each box and what room it’s going into – it’s advised to use a colour coded system.
- Welcome box; Pack a separate box of essentials you may need for the first night at your new house. Things like toiletries, cutlery, kettle, phone charger among other things.
These tips should give you a head start in moving and help relieve some of the stresses of moving house.
This post was written by Olan Ahern on behalf of Rajapack, who offers a wide range of packaging products and services, from warehouse equipment to office supplies.
Image sources: 1, 2
For more moving tips on Stagetecture, click here.