As Christmas is almost upon us, you might find yourself in need of a quick DIY Holiday Craft that can be used for decoration purposes or as a sweet gift for someone with a sweet tooth. A perfect way to prepare easily some beautiful craft is to use candy canes. They can be found anywhere this time of year, they are inexpensive and they come in Holiday colors. Here are three ways to use them.
Holiday Crafts: 3 Ways to Decorate with Candy Canes
1. Candy Cane Wreaths
To make some cute candy cane wreaths you will need:
- Miniature and regular candy canes
- A hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Red, waxed, twine
- Red ribbon
The steps to make the wreaths are easy to follow:
- First unwrap the canes and take two at a time. Connect them so they look like a heart.
- Use a small amount of hot glue to attach the canes to each other at a couple of points. Make about 10 candy cane hearts this way with the large candy canes and 6 candy cane hearts with the small candy canes.
- Place the large candy cane hearts on a working surface so they form a wreath. Use some hot glue gun to secure each of the hearts with the heart next to it, on the straight sides of the canes where they touch each other.
- Make a smaller wreath with the small candy cane hearts. Glue the small wreath onto the larger wreath at its center.
- When the glue has dried completely wrap the red twine around the points you have glued the candy canes together and make a knot on the back side of the wreaths. Use the ribbon for hanging your wreath. You can spray paint the wreath with some clear sealant to add to its durability.
2. Candy Cane Vases
Image via: BHG
- For this easy holiday craft you will need:
- A cylinder glass vase
- Candy canes
- Red ribbon
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
To make the candy cane vase just unwrap the candy canes and glue them onto the outer side of the vase. You can spray paint the candy canes with some clear sealant to add to prevent them from getting sticky. Then wrap a ribbon around the candy canes and you are done!
3. Candy Cane Reindeers
Image via: One Little Project
This Holiday Craft is ideal for getting the kids involved.
- Candy canes
- Googly eyes
- Small red pom poms
- Tacky glue or hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Brown pipe cleaners
For this craft you don’t need to un-wrap the candy canes. Glue the one red pom pom onto the end of the candy cane handle. Glue the eyes above the nose. Fold the pipe cleaner in half and wrap it around the top of the candy cane. Create antlers by twisting the each end of the pipe cleaner around a pencil. Wrap a ribbon around the cane collar and you are done! This one is perfect for a treat for all those little ones on Christmas.
These are three super easy Holiday Crafts using candy canes this Christmas that can be prepared in no-time. They are great for giving away or to just give a festive touch to your house and Christmas table.