There is nothing better than entertaining at the holidays! Whether you are having family and friends over from out of town or you’re throwing your annual holiday party with your co-workers, delicious and easy casseroles are delicious and simple. This holiday season I decided to combine my favorite sausage casserole with a wonton appetizer recipe to have a more elegant way to present h’ordeuvres at your party. I paired with Johnsonville® Sausage to combine the ease of a casserole into a delicious and pretty appetizer that your guests will love!
Johnsonville® Sausage Wonton Holiday Casserole Appetizer
1 package of Johnsonville® Italian Sausage
1 can 15 oz. tomato sauce
¼ cup diced onions
¼ cup diced green peppers
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried basil
25 wonton wrappers
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan lightly with cooking spray.
2. In a large sauce pan or deep dish skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and remove casings from the sausage links. Let sausage cook until light pink separating with a spatula until sausage is in small pieces.
3. Once the meat is almost cooked throughout add onions and green peppers. Continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally on medium heat.
4. Once mixture is cooked add tomato sauce, lower heat and allow to thicken for 8-10 minutes, stirring as needed.
5. While sausage mixture is simmering, separate won ton wrappers and place one inside each muffin cup. Shape won ton wrapper to form a small bowl with your fingers.
6. Place muffin pan of won ton wrappers in oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Spoon sausage mixture into cooled won ton cups and place on a cookie sheet.
8. Sprinkle won tons with cheddar cheese and place in the oven until cheese starts to melt.
Serve warm to your hungry guests.
You can also spoon the sausage mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle with melted cheddar cheese. Whether you make h’ordeuvres or a casserole this Johnsonville® Sausage Wonton Holiday Casserole Appetizer recipe is perfect for your holiday entertaining!
This recipe can be adapted to fit your liking. Try adding these to your recipe to add some pizzaz! Try adding bacon crumbles, bleu cheese, bread crumbs or even sour cream into the sausage mixture would be delish as well.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.