Looking for 4th of July of Dessert to show your patriotism? What would a 4th of July party be without a proper patriotic mouthwatering 4th of July Dessert? And what better dessert is there than a national dish like a pie, filled with seasonal berries and arranged to look like the American flag can somebody wish for on such a special celebration. And it keeps getting even better… the recipe below is healthy and does not contain any artificial food colors, so it is the perfect dessert for children and health conscious adults alike!
4th of July Dessert: Patriotic Berry Pie
Berry Pie Ingredients:
For the crust
2 cups flour (all-purpose)
¼ cup almonds, finely chopped
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup butter, cold
5-7 tbsp. ice water
For the filling
2 ½ cups sliced strawberries
1 ¾ cups raspberries
1 ½ cups blueberries
½ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tbsp. water
½ tsp almond extract
For the egg wash
Berry Pie Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 425oF.
2. Combine the flour, salt and chopped almonds in a large bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add it to the flour mixture; mix with two forks to achieve a coarse crumb-like mixture. Add little by little water, just until the mixture is moistened.
3. Take 1/3 of the mixture out and shape a ball. Place it on wrapping foil and flatten it a bit. Wrap it up and put it in the refrigerator to rest.
4. Sprinkle a little flour on a working surface, take the remaining dough and roll it out into a circle (about 12 inch, 1/8 inch thick). Fold the circle into quarters and place it onto a 9 inch pie plate. Now carefully unfold the circle and press it firmly so it takes the shape of the pie plate. Let a little dough over the edges.
5. The next step is to prepare the berries. You will need two bowls; one to put in the strawberries and the raspberries and the other for the blueberries.
6. In another bowl, mix together the sugar and the corn starch. Now add about ¼ cup of this mixture to the blueberries, along with one tbsp. water and ¼ tsp almond extract. Toss gently to coat everything. Add the rest of the sugar mixture to the strawberries and raspberries, together with ¼ tsp almond extract and toss gently to coat all the berries.
7. Take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it a few times in order to make a 2 inch wide strip. Place the strip onto the pie crust, so you separate the surface into 1/3 and 2/3 sections. Press the foil a little bit so it slightly gets into the crust. Now take a spoon and pour the blueberries into the smaller section of the pie. Pour the strawberries and raspberries into the larger section. Now you can remove the foil with care so the berries don’t mix.
8. Take the remaining dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured working surface. Cut out 5 strips (3/4 inch) to use as the flags’ stripes and place them over the strawberries and raspberries. Fold the remaining edge of the crust over the strips.
9. Using a small star cookie cutter, cut out as many stars as you like and place them over the blueberries.
10. Slightly beat the egg and brush the crust with it. To finish, sprinkle with the sanding sugar.
11. Bake for about 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to about 375oF and continue baking for about 30-40 minutes. Cool, serve and enjoy!
Want more berry recipe ideas?
Take a look at our 23 Patriotic Dessert Recipes!
If you want, you can even make the pie in a rectangular shape to give it an even more flag-like look. This 4th of July Dessert is going to be the hit of your celebration party. You can serve it with a delicious ball of vanilla ice cream to round it up and provide the perfect patriotic dessert for your guests.
For more summer holiday desserts on Stagetecture, click here.