Entry #99, May 26, 2010
Are you traveling for Memorial Day weekend, or packing up for a quick summer weekend getaway? Have you thought about ways to pack up without stressing, and without forgetting anything? Here are some tips that can help you plan and relax on your getaway. Let’s count down to your trip.. trust me, it will help you!
One week before vacation:
- Call hotel and destination reservations to confirm. If there are any mix-ups, or changes, one week should be enough time to clear it up. If there are problems on the hotel’s end, have them help you make new reservation at another location. You would rather find out now, then the day before arrival!
Driving? Have maintenance performed on your car. Dealerships and car repair shops are always crowded the days leading up to a holiday weekend. Be prepared, and have yours done the week before.
- Medications, children and pet supplies. Call in prescriptions and pet medications in advance. This will give time for doctor’s to call in refill prescriptions.
3 days before vacation:
- Start packing luggage, and plan to pack for 1 additional day than your stay. For children, pack for accidents! Before putting clothes in luggage, ensure that all days, events, and activities worth of clothing are accounted for.
- Stop delivery ordered. For mail and newspaper, order a stop delivery for the days you will be gone. If you don’t want to stop the service, consider having a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspaper.
- Go to the bank. Many a trip has started off on a rocky start by having to wait in long lines at the bank! You are not the only one
going on vacation. Friday’s are the busiest day at the bank.
1 day before vacation:
- At work, set your out of office assistant for your email, and your voice mail greeting. Depending on your work guidelines, tell your duration of your leave, and if you will or will not be checking your messages while away.
- Pack your carry-on luggage and ensure you have: tickets, essential medications, and a change of clothing. For kids, pack activity items, light snacks, and a change of clothing.
- Walk around your home inside and out. Make sure windows/doors are locked, trash cans are put up, and plants are watered. If pets will be staying in your home, make sure they have plenty of food and water.
Day of vacation:
- Go online and make sure departure and arrival times are still the same as your reservation. Print out boarding pass, and put in your carry-on luggage. Ensure your i.d./passport/and all forms of identification are easily accessible.
- Relax… you will have a great time!