A summer dessert should be light and easy to make. This moist, airy lemon cake is just what you need on a hot summer day. In addition, it is very easy to make and takes less time, exempting the cook to spend a long time in the kitchen. Taste of Home has shared this delicious lemon chiffon cake recipe that will be well worth your effort.
Summer Dessert: Simple Lemon Chiffon Cake
Image via: Williams-Sonoma
12 to 16 servings
All-purpose flour (2 cups)
Baking powder (3 teaspoons)
7 eggs (separated)
Water (3/4 cup)
Canola oil (1/2 cup)
Cream of tartar (1/2 teaspoon)
Vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)
Sugar (1-1/2 cups)
Salt (1 teaspoon)
Lemon peel (4 teaspoons, grated)
For Lemon Frosting
Softened butter (1/3 cup)
Lemon juice (1/4 cup)
Powdered sugar (3 cups)
Lemon peel (4-1/2 teaspoons, grated)
Image via: Cake Journal
- Take a large bowl and put the egg whites in it. Leave it for 30 minutes at the room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Take a big bowl and mix baking powder, salt, sugar, and flour together.
- Take another bowl and whisk in water, oil, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and lemon peel. Add the mixed flour and pound well.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites. Whisk in with a beater until stiff peaks form. Mix one fourth of the whites into batter and then fold the remaining too. Fold in the whites very gently. Otherwise, the cake will be denser instead of chiffon.
- Take an ungreased tube pan (10 inches) and pour the mixture gently. To remove air pockets, cut through it with a knife.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes. After that, move it from the pan to a dish and cool for at least one hour.
- Take all the frosting ingredients small bowl and whisk in until smooth. Spread the mixture over the cake top and it is ready for serving.
- You can also make a layer cake with the similar recipe. Use lemon curd between the layers and top with whipped cream. The taste will be equally delicious.
This cake, which is exclusively made of lemon, is a wonderful, refreshing summertime dessert. It will be a dream for lemon lovers and the baking is so easy that even a novice cook who has never made a homemade cake before can make it.
Do you have any twists on this Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe that you would add? How about orange or lime? Yum!
For more dessert recipes on Stagetecture, click here.