Our bedrooms are one of the only places in our world that we can unwind from a hectic day and get rejuvenated for the next, all without the outside world influencing us. The therapeutic benefits of a good night’s sleep has never been a secret, but the way that we decorate and design our bedrooms to ensure we maximize sleep is often forgotten.
Image via: Urban Design Centre
I’m excited to pair up with Restonic Mattress to bring you bedroom design and sleep wellness tips to transform how you see and feel in your bedroom. In the upcoming months I will introduce a bedroom theme for the month, here on Stagetecture. I will also feature posts on the Restonic blog to give design and sleep wellness tips to follow that month’s theme. I would love to hear how you tackle bedroom “challenges” in your home too!
The Restonic blog has interviewed some of my favorite interior designers on their blog for their Bedroom Therapy feature on how they design bedrooms for comfort, style, and everyday living; I encourage you to follow their tips.
Ensure your Holiday Guests Have a Comfortable Bedroom
For November we kick off our Restonic bedroom theme with your holiday guest bedroom. Within a few weeks your home will play host to relatives, friends, and plenty of holiday entertaining that we all hold dear. When traveling guests come to stay for the holidays your guest bedroom becomes their ‘home away from home’ and ensuring it is comfortable is essential.
Image via: Significant Homes LLC
Holiday Guest Bedroom Tips
In my home, my college-aged son comes home and often brings a friend, or two along. I think preparing for guests during the holidays shouldn’t be a stressful or time consuming effort. Depending on how you keep the bedroom during the rest of the year will help or hinder you. For my husband and I, my son’s “guest bedroom” turns into a storage room most of the year and therefore a overhaul of emptying out closets and decluttering is our first order of business. Here are some tips for you if your guest bedroom needs a good cleaning first.
Guest Bedroom Cleaning Tips
- Remove clutter from closets, under the bed, and in dresser drawers
- Remove old bedding linen and replace with clean or new bedding
- Clean floor and carpet – especially under the bed to clean out dust and dirt
- Dust and remove old pictures and decorative collectibles around the room
- Treat the room like a hotel for your guests
Image via: BHG
Making Holiday Slumber Comfortable for Guests
If you have holiday guests traveling a long distance you want to ensure your guest bedroom is a sanctuary when they arrive. There are several strategies for better sleeping while you’re traveling and creating a comfortable guest bedroom is one of them. Here are a few simple tips:
- Choose comfortable sheets: Cotton sheets that are comfortable and smooth will feel the best to your guests. 100% Egyptian cotton is the best and American cotton is the next softer. While thread count is important (the higher the number the softer and smoother to the touch) but the type of cotton will last longer and will reduce pilling. Flannel sheets are ideal for cold homes but ensure they are “preshrunk” before buying.
- Choose a comforter to fit the temperature of your home: Everyone’s home has different temperature levels. If you live in an older home that is drafty or often cold – opt for wool blankets, and down comforters. Offer your guests a layering of sheets, blankets, and comforter for versatility. Warmer homes can opt for lighter easy-care cotton sheets and comforters.
This holiday season start preparing your guest room with these simple tips. From decluttering and cleaning to choosing the right bedding, your guests will appreciate the time you spent making their temporary “home” feel wonderful throughout their holiday stay.
For more holiday guest bedroom ideas on Stagetecture, click here.