Feature #20, March 14, 2010
It’s Week #3 of the Kitchen Cure, how did you do last week with the drawers? Did you throw out unneeded tools? In my tool drawer I needed to get rid of the 10 cake slicers, that they give you free at the grocery store bakery! This week is about cleaning, and beautifying.
Week #3 Assignments:
1. Catch up: Finish up any unfinished business from Week One and Week Two.
2. Clean all remaining un-cleaned surfaces: Your kitchen should be totally clean after this assignment, as in eat-off-the-floor clean. Not just the surfaces, but the appliances too. Clean your floors, oil your butcher blocks, get the grit out of the seal around your fridge. The whole nine yards. Step back and think about the nooks and crannies you’ve never cleaned. Take my magnetic knife rack, for example: if I don’t regularly remove all the knives and run a damp cloth across the top edge, it develops a thick fluffy layer of dust. You know you have things like this in your kitchen.
Check out our post on cleaning products for the kitchen for some tips on both cleaning methods and products.
3. Special Project Time: We talked about this last week. You were supposed to decide on your special project: something outside the organization and cleaning part of the Cure. Something that would make your kitchen more livable, solve a problem, or spruce it up. Here are a few ideas:
- Paint a chalkboard wall
- Paint a chalkboard fridge
- Make a custom glass back splash
- Create your own knife storage solution
- Paint your dark paneled cabinets
- Strip the wall-paper
For more kitchen organization ideas on Stagetecture, click here.