Nautical decor ideas never go out of style! Most people don’t put much thought into designing their interior. Once they’ve gotten beyond the functional aspects of their living spaces and slapped a fresh coat of paint on the wall, many don’t bother to create a cohesive and aesthetically appealing design. And yet, there are so many ways to turn your home into a relaxing and personalized haven. Some people will venture to choose wall colors that speak to them personally, or decorate furnishings with dozens of pillows. Some will add comfort pieces like a favorite old quilt that’s practically coming apart at the seams or paintings and furniture that have been with them since childhood. But if you want to do something a little more comprehensive with your space, then perhaps a theme is just what you’ve been looking for. Here are a few tips to get that nautical coastal look you love.
25 Nautical Decor Ideas for your Creative Home
1. Nautical Decor Color Scheme Ideas
There are a couple of different ways you can go when it comes to selecting a nautical color scheme. Although you might think that adopting a watery palette of green and blue is enough, nautical themes tend to be rather specific when it comes to colors. For example, you could elect to approach your project as if it were a beach home, in which case a white-on-white aesthetic would be the order of the day. Or you might lean more towards a yachting feel with yellow, white, navy blue, and hints of red in the color scheme. You might also go with an old school sailing vessel sort of feel complete with dark browns and maroons with gold accents. In short, the color scheme depends largely on the type of nautical theme you’re going for.
2. Beach Decor Walls and Flooring Ideas
When it comes to all things oceanic, you might not initially think that wood flooring is the way to go. But nautical styles nearly always emphasize wood, often in both flooring and walls, to mimic the look of ships or beach shanties. Both the beach cottage look and the yacht style will call for light-colored planks on the floor while the former will also require white-washed walls and exposed beams on the ceiling. And if you want to make a room look like the inside of a pirate’s vessel, surrounding yourself on all sides with dark wood paneling is a must.
We love these Nautical Decor Inspired Rooms from Elle Decor.
3. Coastal Inspired Linens
You can have some fun here depending on your theme. While the east coast beach house looks generally calls for a continuation of the whites, a naval or yachting theme could mean lots of blues (especially navy) or reds in the linen department. And if you’re going for a pirate motif, you’ll want all kinds of rich brocade, plush velvet, and stiff leather.
4. Nautical Furniture
Wood is definitely the order of the day for most nautical styles when it comes to adding furnishings. While beach styles tend to opt for light, faded woods (think the color of driftwood), you’ll want to opt for polished oak and mahogany numbers if you’re going for some sort of ship-like theme (like the items found at the coral cove, for example). But beach-house lovers will also want plush items upholstered in textiles similar to sailcloth while seating and tables for boat styles should be squat and sturdy (and upholstered in leather, in some cases).
HGTV has some creative nautical and beach theme decor here.
5. Beach Theme Decor Accessories
A nautical theme provides for a bevy of decorative accessories, from items related to marine life (seashells, starfish, etc.) to instruments you might find on a ship (globes, sextants, old-school charts/maps, and so on). And of course, you can always add nautical-inspired artwork to the mix with paintings of boats or seascapes.
20 Nautical Decor Ideas from our Blogger Friends
- Nautical Baby Shower Banner from thecountrychiccottage.net
- DIY Nautical Christmas Sign from iheartnaptime.net
- Navy Officer Nautical Party from natalme.com
- DIY Nautical Decor: Heart Rocks And Sea Glass Mobile from sustainmycrafthabit.com
- How To Make A Nautical Throw Pillow With Felt Fabric from sustainmycrafthabit.com
- DIY Nautical Patriotic Banner from houseofhawthornes.com
- DIY Nautical Wall Mirror from acharmingproject.com
- Make This: DIY Nautical Coasters from theshabbycreekcottage.com
- Whale Wall Plaque for a Nautical Nursery from knockoffdecor.com
- Nautical Themed Bathroom Design from thecountrychiccottage.net
- Faux Fishing Weights for the Nautical Lover from knockoffdecor.com
- An Old Mirror Gets a New Makeover from knockoffdecor.com
- Nautical Lamp Makeover Using Rope from pastelsandmacarons.com
- Nautical Compass Wreath For Summer from housefulofhandmade.com
- 4th Of July Anchors Away Map Printable from littlegoldpixel.com
- This Little Light Of Mine-DIY Printable Lighthouse Tealight Holder from littleluxuriesloft.com
- Easy Nautical DIY Coasters from craftsbycourtney.com
- DIY Hanging Fish Decor from craftingfingers.co.uk
- Nautical Wall Decor from pastelsandmacarons.com
- DIY Linen Napkins And Nautical Cable Napkin Rings from sustainmycrafthabit.com
For more nautical ideas on Stagetecture, click here.