Looking for a delicious vegetable casserole recipe? If you are looking for a vegetarian easy, delicious and comforting dish for brunch or dinner then look no further. This Winter Swiss Vegetable Casserole Recipe is for you. It is crowd pleasing and suitable for any occasion, even as a side dish. And the best part is, besides the yumminess, that it is healthy as it is fast to prepare.
Winter Swiss Vegetable Casserole Recipe
Swiss Vegetable Casserole Recipe
Ingredients (for 8 servings)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- ½ cup green onions cut into small pieces
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup crushed round buttery crackers
- 1 lb bag frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower, cooked, drained
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Cooking spray
Vegetable Casserole Directions:
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 1 to 1 ½ quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Take a 2 quart saucepan and melt the butter over medium heat. Now add the onions and cook until tender, stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour, pepper and salt by stirring constantly. Little by little add the milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until the mixture is thickened and bubbles appear. Remove from heat.
- Now add ¾ cup Swiss cheese and stir until it is melted. Finally, it’s time to add the vegetables. Stir so they all are covered by the sauce. Pour the mixture into the casserole and sprinkle the crushed crackers and the left over cheese over it.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the casserole appears to be bubbly.
If you want to have a more low-fat dish, just replace use skim milk and low fat cheese.
Also, this dish is great to make ahead. Just prepare the dish without adding the crushed crackers and don’t cook. Put it in the refrigerator, covered, for up to a day. When you are ready to cook it, just sprinkle the crackers on top of the casserole and bake it for about 30 to 40 minutes or until it gets golden brown. Enjoy!
For more easy meals on Stagetecture, click here.