Have you ever made a pumpkin roll? Fall is the perfect time to start thinking about pumpkin filled desserts as well as Thanksgiving that will be right around the corner! A pumpkin dessert to finish a Thanksgiving meal sounds just like a delicious way to wrap up a perfect holiday. The pumpkin roll slices filled with cream cheese and flavored with cinnamon, ginger, and lemon juice are perfect to satisfy your taste buds.
Pumpkin Roll Ingredients:
All-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
Solid pack pumpkin puree (2/3 cup)
Baking powder (1 teaspoon)
Chopped pecans (1 cup)
Butter (4 tablespoons)
Cream cheese (1 package or approximately 8 ounces)
Lemon juice (1 teaspoon)
Ground ginger (1 teaspoon)
Ground cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
Confectioners’ sugar (1 cup)
White sugar (1 cup)
Vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take a 10×15-inch jellyroll pan and grease and flour it.
- Beat eggs mixed with sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Do it for at least five minutes. Mix in pumpkin puree and lemon juice gradually. Stir flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder into the pumpkin mixture.
- Take the jellyroll pan and spread batter evenly on it. Sprinkle the chopped pecans.
- Bake for at least 12-15 minutes or until the center of the roll is set with a soft and spongy texture. Dust two dishtowels with confectioners’ sugar.
- Now, use a knife to loosen the edges of the baked cake and turn out on the towels. Use the towels to roll up the cake and keep it in that state for nearly 20 minutes to let it cool.
- Take the vanilla extract, 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar, butter, and cream cheese in a medium bowl and beat them until the mixture is smooth. Spread this filling on the cake by unrolling it and then roll again.
- Dust the roll again with confectioners’ sugar after placing it on a long sheet of waxed paper. Wrap the roll with the waxed paper and twist the both ends.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator overnight. Before serving, slice the roll into pieces and dust with additional confectioners’ sugar.
Pumpkin Dessert Notes:
- You can tweak the recipe according to your taste buds. For example, there is absolutely no problem in substituting cinnamon and ginger with pumpkin spice or completely omitting the lemon juice from the recipe.
- If you don’t like your cake to have a nutty texture, don’t use pecans.
- The use of paper towels can be messy sometimes as the cake can stick to them. So, use aluminum foil to avoid the mess.
A pumpkin roll is delicious after your meal or with your morning coffee. However, you can make it any time of the year, especially during this fall season when everyone craves for having some pumpkin.
For more pumpkin recipes on Stagetecture, click here.