Who doesn’t love a good lasagna recipe? Whether you are serving up dinner for your family or you are anticipating leftovers for the week, there’s nothing like a delicious helping of a good recipe for lasagna. Take a look at this sausage and cheese lasagna recipe to get your creative juices flowing. Experiment with adding spinach, and eggplant or take out the meat and enjoy a vegetarian lasagna instead!
Ultimate Sausage and Cheese Lasagna Recipe
Total time: 30 minutes preparation + 2 hours 30 minutes cooking
Yields: 12 servings
Lasagna Recipe Ingredients:
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
¾ pound lean ground beef
½ cup onion, minced
2 crushed garlic cloves
28 ounce crushed tomatoes
6 ounce tomato paste
6.5 ounce canned tomato sauce
½ cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 and half teaspoons dried basil leaves
Half teaspoon fennel seeds 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
Pinch of salt
¾ pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Lasagna Recipe Directions:
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef, garlic, onion over medium heat until well browned. Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, sugar, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Cover and let it simmer for about 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of water (lightly salted) to boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water. In another bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and pinch of salt.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- To assemble, spread 1 and half cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9*13 inch baking dish. Arrange six noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with one third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layering process, and top it up with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil in order to avoid sticking. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for additional 25-30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Looking for a delicious side for your lasagna? Try this Caprese Salad recipe!
For more delicious and easy dinner recipes, check out our recipe archives for easy dinners.