Don’t we all need a good how to make gingerbread cookies recipe? They are one of the most classic desserts associated with Christmas. Kids are looking for it on the table and delighted with its figure. In fact, Christmas cartoon movies include Gingerbread cookies in their list of characters. So, this Christmas, don’t miss on serving Classic Homemade Gingerbread Cookies to your holiday table this season.
The holidays and cookie making goes hand and hand doesn’t it? Whether your family likes to decorate cookies for fall and Thanksgiving or you prefer to wait until the holiday season of Christmas, no time is a bad time for cookies! 🙂 We love gingerbread cookies because they allow your creativity to run away with you! Whether you like to make little gingerbread men and gingerbread women or classical snowflake and house shapes are more your style, take a look at these yummy cookies that will get you in the spirit of the holidays!
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1 cup molasses
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Assorted decorator sugar crystals
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Directions:
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until fluffy.
Stir together baking soda and 1/4 cup hot water until dissolved; stir in molasses.
- Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Shape mixture into a ball; cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough with a 4-inch gingerbread man-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- Spoon Royal Icing into a small zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole; pipe faces on cookies, or spread cookies with Buttermilk Frosting.
- Decorate cookies as desired with candies and sugar crystals.
Gingerbread Cookies Tips:
Gingerbread Snowflake Cookies: Prepare recipe as directed, cutting dough with a 1- to 2 1/2-inch snowflake-shaped cutter. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 13 to 17 minutes. Cool and decorate as directed. Makes: about 9 dozen. Hands-on time: 1 hr.; Total time: 4 hr., 50 min., including icing and frosting.
The whole recipe yields 2 dozen at 4-inch per cookie. Take a bite and you’ll have great reasons to make this scrumptious recipe a part of your Christmas menu.
Looking for more Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Ideas
We love these creative takes on gingerbread cookies:
The Pioneer Woman shows off her yummy gingerbread cookie recipe ideas in this article.
We love these Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Decorating Ideas too!
The Polka Dot Chair blog has some fun Christmas cookie gingerbread cookies decorating ideas here.
For more dessert recipes on Stagetecture, click here.