No bake recipes become a rage during the holiday season because they are non messy, uncomplicated and give enough time for everything else around. So if you don’t have much time for preparation and yet want to put up something festive, ‘no bake’ is the way to go. I would love to share one such no bake, holiday dessert recipe that is ready with minimal effort from your part and yet, looks so stunning that people will just fall in love with it-The Bourbon Balls Recipe. Bourbon Balls or rum balls as known popularly, requires very less ingredients and those too are the ones readily available in every kitchen during holidays. So what are we waiting for? Lets prep them up!
Holiday Dessert: Bourbon Balls Recipe
Image Via: Cbc Best Recipes Ever
1/2 cup dark rum
1 cup semi-sweet choco chips
1/2 cup sugar (white sugar)
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
2-1/2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3 tbsp corn syrup
decorative sugar/sprinkles (instead of plain confectioner’s sugar if you like)
Image Via: Anna Arbor
- In a medium sized, deep vessel, heat some water. In another slightly smaller pan (with a handle) put choco chips. Keeping the smaller pan over the larger one, melt the choco chips. You will need to stir constantly and take care that you don’t drop any water in the choco chip bowl.
- Once the molten choco chips cool slightly, add white sugar and corn syrup. Stir well.
- Add rum, crushed vanilla wafers and walnuts (walnuts are optional). Blend well again.
- Cover and refrigerate so that the mixture cools and becomes a little firm.
- Bring out the firm chocolate mixture from the refrigerator and roll it into bite sized balls.
- Roll the chocolate balls in a mixture of confectioners sugar and finely chopped walnuts or just plain confectioners sugar. Instead if you are using decorative sugar or sprinkles then roll the chocolate balls in those.
- Put it away in the fridge in a covered container for about four to five days so that the flavors blend well.
This holiday dessert is loved by adults, however I would advise that kids be kept away from it because of the high alcohol content. Other than that, Bourbon Balls are a perfect bitter sweet dessert for the holidays, especially Christmas. Plus you can decorate them in so many ways using the huge variety of confectionary items available readily at most stores. Do share your views on this no bake holiday dessert recipe.
Click here for more Christmas Dessert Recipes.