Entry #2414, May 13, 2013
Memorial Day is fast approaching and we want to appreciate those who have served and are serving our country each day! One great way to celebrate memorial day is by having a picnic with the family and friends. Of course, sandwiches are great compliments for a picnic treat. So try this easy to make recipe and even better to taste for the smoked BLT sandwich. It is sure to fill your stomachs and give you the energy to enjoy all of the festivities for the picnic.
Smoked BLT Sandwiches with Arugula
Image via: Simply Delicious
Servings: 1 Sandwich
- 2-3 slices of thick Smoked Bacon
- 1-2 thin slices of a fresh large Tomato
- 1-2 ounces (a couple of handfuls) of Fresh Baby Arugula
- 2 slices of Whole Grain or Wheat Bread
Image via: Martha Stewart
- Heat a large sauté pan or cast iron pan on medium low heat. Then take the strips of bacon and place each strip, single layer, in the pan side by side. You want to slowly cook the bacon, being sure to melt out the fat, until it has turned a lighten brown then flip the strips over and cook until the same has occurred for that side.
- When the bacon has been thoroughly cooked through then remove them from the pan and place them on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess fat. Pour out the excessive fat from the pan, but keep a little in a jar for the arugula. (Do not pour bacon grease down the sink, it will clog your pipes).
- In the same pot, add a handful of the fresh baby arugula. Then pour in the jar of the bacon fat that you set to the side. As soon as the arugula greens begin to wilt, remove the arugula from the heat and put into a ceramic bowl to stop them from cooking, set aside.
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster. Spread the mayonnaise (or if you have a different preference that will be perfect too) over the slices. Take one slice of the bread and layer it the bacon, slices of tomato, and lastly lightly wilted arugula. Cut on the diagonal and serve.
For more food recipes on Stagetecture, click here.