Is there ever a bad time of year to have ice cream cake? There are no definite rules about the form and shape of ice cream cakes because no matter what shape they take, they are always yummy! We will check out here a layered ice cream cake recipe that has thin layers of cake, raspberry sorbet, and crumbled cookies. Taken the idea from Martha Stewart, the dessert can be a hit item in any part of the Labor Day holiday.
Labor Day Dessert: Raspberry Ice Cream Cake
Raspberry Ice Cream Cake Ingredients:
1 frozen or homemade pound cake (10-3/4 ounces). The frozen one should be unthawed and the normal one should be at room temperature.
Softened vanilla ice cream (1 cup)
Softened raspberry sorbet (2 cups)
Pure vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
Sugar (1/2 cup)
2 large egg whites
Chocolate wafer cookies (1/2 cup; roughly crumbled)
Ice Cream Cake Directions:
- Cut the pound cake horizontally into 4 slices. Line a baking pan with plastic wrap while leaving two sides with 6 inches overhang.
- Now, make the layers in the pan. The order of the layers can be one slice cake at the bottom, 1-cup sorbet, one slice of cake, half-cup ice cream, crumbs of cookies, another half-cup ice cream, another cake slice, one-cup sorbet, and finally, one slice of cake at the top. Remember that, you can decorate the order any way you want. With a slice of cake at the bottom and the top, arrange the internal layers as per your taste and liking.
- Wrap the layered cake with a piece of plastic wrap. You have to refrigerate it for minimum one hour and can keep it in the freezer for maximum three days.
Meringue Filling Cake Directions:
- While the cake is in the freezer, whisk together a pinch of cream of tartar and the egg whites in a heatproof bowl.
- Put the bowl over a pan of boiling water and keep stirring until the mixture becomes foamy. Mix sugar and keep whisking until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and beat the mixture with an electric mixer for 6 minutes until sheeny, stiff peaks are formed. Now, add vanilla and beat for another minute.
- Take the cake out of the freezer and top with meringue.
Conscious about health? Make the cake Gluten Free and no one will know the difference! The topping can be changed with anything you like. You can use plain whipped cream or fruits like kiwis, cherries, or raspberries with drizzled chocolate on top. This raspberry ice cream cake is a fabulous recipe that your guests will surely love to taste.
Do you have any other variations of this ice cream cake recipe? For more dessert ideas on Stagetecture, click here.