Entry #3282, February 22, 2014
After a filling meal there is always a little room left for a decadent dessert. Try this Slow Cooker dessert recipe that is all about a delightful, fudge chocolate cake. Top it with the warm coffee-cream sauce to round this yummy dish up. What a great way to finish a meal!
Slow Cooker Dessert: Chocolate Walnut Bread Pudding
Image via: BHG
Slow Cooker Dessert: Chocolate Walnut Bread Pudding Recipe
Ingredients for the Bread Pudding
(serves about 8)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups milk
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- ¾ cup presweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 cups cubed Hawaiian sweet bread or cinnamon-swirl bread (no raisins), dried
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for the Coffee-Cream Sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup freshly brewed strong coffee
- ¼ cup coffee liqueur or water
Image via: Table For Seven
- If you want to cube and dry bread, just preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Cut 1/2-inch bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes. Now simply spread the bread cubes in a single layer in a 15-1/2×10-1/2×1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice. Allow to cool. The cubes continue to dry and crisp as they cool.
- For the dessert, coat the inside of a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it becomes very warm but not boiling. Remove the milk from heat. Add the chocolate pieces and cocoa powder, but do not stir, and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk the mixture until it is smooth. Allow it to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and the chocolate mixture. Now, gently stir in the bread cubes and the walnuts. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for about 2-1/2 hours or until a knife inserted near center of pudding comes out clean (the mixture will puff). Remove crockery liner from cooker, if possible, or turn off cooker. Cool, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Note that the pudding will fall as it cools.
- To make the sauce, in a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add the cream, coffee, and liqueur. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
To serve the slow cooker dessert, spoon the warm pudding into dessert dishes. Top each serving with the Coffee-Cream Sauce.
Thank you BHG for this wonderful Slow Cooker recipe. Enjoy this mouthwatering pudding with a nice cup of coffee!
For more dessert ideas on Stagetecture, click here,