There are few things more satisfying than biting into a perfectly ripe peach and feeling the juice burst in your mouth. Since August signifies the height of peach season, now is the time to cross that experience off of your yearly to-do list. We suggest you do it with the help of this peach coffee cake recipe. The spongy base is topped with brown butter sautéed peaches and a sugary glaze. All together, these flavors create a dish that is show-stopping enough to be served for summer brunch, yet simple enough that you probably already have the ingredients on hand.
Summer Brunch: Peach Coffee Cake
Image Via: A Kitchen Addiction
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 50 minutes
For Coffee Cake:
½ cup butter + 1 tablespoon, divided
1 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
For Peach Layer:
4 ripe peaches, peeled, sliced, and pitted
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Image Via: Little B Cooks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and heat a skillet to medium.
- Prep the peaches by melting 3 tablespoons of butter in the pan, stirring occasionally until it darkens into a golden brown color. Dissolve the brown sugar into the butter and turn off the heat. Toss the peaches in the brown butter and set them aside to cool.
- Start the cake batter by beating together a ½ cup butter and 2 cups of sugar in your mixer.
- When the butter takes on a pale yellow color, add in your eggs, one at a time, the sour cream, and the vanilla extract.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With your mixer on its lowest setting, gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet and let mix until a cohesive batter forms.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining butter and white sugar with the brown sugar and cinnamon to create the crumble topping. Use your hands to bring the ingredients together into small chunks.
- Assemble the cake by pouring the batter into a greased 9-inch springform pan. Top the batter with the peach mixture and then the crumble topping.
- Loosely tent the cake in aluminum foil to prevent excessive browining and transfer it into the oven. Bake it for 40-50 minutes or until the center is completely set.
- While the cake bakes, make the glaze by whisking the confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and glossy. Set aside.
- When the cake is finished allow it to cool on a wire rack before drizzling with the glaze. Serve at room temperature or just slightly warm.
This peach coffee cake is so special that it seems ready-made for an occasion like a leisurely summer brunch. But, that’s not all it can do. Create an over-the-top sundae by combing cubes of it with vanilla ice cream and a warm crème anglaise. You could also incorporate leftovers into a decadent bread pudding. One thing’s for sure, however you serve it, this recipe offers the best flavors of summer.
How do you like to enjoy your summer peaches? Share your favorite recipes with us!
For more great brunch recipes, check out Stagetecture’s archives.