Entry #2714, August4, 2013
Happy Sunday! Are you ready for a delicious pancake recipe that will take advantage of summer’s freshest berries? Try this Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes with Blackberries recipe for the whole family. You will definitely love the texture of the pancake and the sweet, delicious taste of blackberries.
Summer Ripened Blackberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Image via: Juju Good News
- 1 lb. tart apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup small blackberries
- oil, for greasing
- light cream
- extra blackberries
Image via: Oh Home Sweet Home
- Peel, core and dice the apples and put in a saucepan with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until softened. Mash with a fork, add the butter and heat through, uncovered, until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl and stir in the cornmeal and sugar. Put the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter into a second bowl and beat until mixed. Stir the mixture into the dry ingredients to form a smooth, thick batter. Fold in the blackberries.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, brush lightly with oil and pour in a little of the batter to form a small pancake. Cook for 2 minutes until bubbles appear over the surface. Flip and cook for a further 1 minute until cooked through. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a low oven while cooking the rest.
- Serve the pancakes topped with apple butter, a little cream and blackberries.
You should be able to make at least 6 servings of Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes with Blackberries. You will definitely find a lot of reasons to make this recipe all over again. It’s so easy and packed with flavors that will surely capture your taste.
For more recipes on Stagetecture, click here.