Winter drinks are welcome at this time of the year and what better than hot Irish Coffee, that comes with a double dose of hot coffee and warm alcohol. It is said that the inventor Joe Sheridan, came up with this masterpiece in 1940. He mixed up whiskey in regular coffee and served it to a group of travelers to warm them on a chilly winter evening. When asked on what it was, he christened it ‘Irish Coffee’. Sip in hot Irish Coffee with friends and family and share the anecdote. Hey, but keep the kids out of this one!
Winter Drink: Classic Irish Coffee
Image Via: Delish
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
3 tbsp Irish whiskey
1 tbsp brown sugar
Heavy cream, whipped lightly
Image Via: Tampa Bay Times
- You will need to pre-heat the mug in which you will serve Irish coffee. Hence, fill the serving mug with hot water and empty soon after, in about a minute.
- Pour piping hot coffee into this warmed mug and fill it to three quarters.
- Add brown sugar and stir till it completely dissolves in the coffee.
- Next, pour in 3 tbsp Irish whiskey and stir slightly to blend.
- Top the coffee with heavy cream. You will need to do this carefully with the back of a spoon.
Once you top up the coffee with cream, do not stir. Sip the coffee through cream, that’s how the inventors intended it to be;) Bitter chocolate is a great accompaniment to this classic winter drink, although I would admit that I like Irish Coffee with sweet chocolate. Chocolate cake and cookies also go very well along. I also like to top the cream with a light drizzle of chocolate sprinkles. It balances the slightly bitter taste of Irish coffee. It would be great to hear from you about your thoughts on this winter drink recipe. Do write back!
Click here for more recipes on Winter Drinks!