Entry #5, September 10, 2009
What attracted you to your home 5 years ago, was the great views of
the lake outside. You also loved the great fireplace, and how the
spaces flowed from room to room.
Now your house is up for sale, and each potential home buyer that
comes in your home, wants to know how can you think you can sell it.
They can’t see any views! Your curio cabinet of glass miniature
collections are blocking the fireplace. The over sized furniture and
abundance of kids push-toys throughout the room, do not show off the
flowing quality of the home.
Solution: De-clutter and show off amenities of the outside, from the inside.
Here are tips for visually and physically adding space to a room:
- Minimize large furniture in small rooms. Make sure there is ample walking area around all furniture, and traffic patterns in and out of the room are not blocked. You should be able to have at least 2 ft. of space around most, if not all your furniture. More than 2 ft. if it’s a major traffic area, or leaving to and from another room.
- Remove excess accessories, collectibles, and items that clutter furniture display areas.
- Visit model homes, look through magazines to get ideas of how a home attracts buyer’s.
Show off the view, and bring fresh sunlight in!
- Don’t block windows, doorway’s, porch’s or any “visual” entryway’s. People naturally enjoy sunlight and seeing outside from the inside. Why do you think property costs more when it has a view? Anything from a pond, lake, ocean, mountains, even a wooded view is preferred to l0oking out at the corner supermarket! Even if you don’t have the perfect lot, being able to have sunlight, and fresh breezes are preferred over a closed in space.
- Place live plants in a room to bring in the outdoors. Artificial plants are a great alternative if they look believable and are not full of dust!!
- In spaces that are dark, or don’t have adequate natural light, consider painting the walls with lighter colors. Neutral colors are always a safe choice, and will attract most buyer’s eyes.
If you have one, maximize it! Amenities such as fireplaces, architectural features, views, lanai’s, etc.. are examples. Even item’s that you have brought yourself: Artwork, sculptures, fountains can also be focal points. Use the furniture in the room to direct the buyer’s eyes in that direction.
If you need any help, Stagetecture, LLC can give you help! Whether in your house, or email us photographs! We’re here to lend the eye that buyer’s will have. Even if you don’t want to sell your home, make your home a place that your house guests will envy! Click on ‘Contact Us’ to the right.
For more home selling ideas on Stagetecture, click here.