Who doesn’t love chicken tacos? A healthy lunch should be a regular item in the menu of your summer lunches. However, healthy does not mean tasteless. Your meal will instantly turn into a treat if that healthy lunch item is some luscious tacos stuffed with chicken and served with cabbage slaw.
Thai Chicken Tacos with Cabbage Slaw Recipe
Chicken Tacos Ingredients:
4 servings (2 tacos per serving)
Chicken breasts or tenders cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (skinless and boneless; 1 pound)
16 corn tortillas (heated)
1 finely chopped shallot
Fresh cilantro (chopped; ¼ cup)
Garlic (minced; 3 cloves)
1 lime (halved)
Vegetable oil (2 tablespoons)
Hot chili sauce (1/2 teaspoon)
Reduced-sodium soy sauce (2 teaspoons)
Fish sauce (1 tablespoon)
Crushed red pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
For Cabbage Slaw
Napa cabbage (shredded; 2 cups)
Fresh cilantro (snipped; ¼ cup)
Radishes (sliced; 1/3 cup)
1 medium carrot (shredded; ½ cup)
4 green onions (sliced; ½ cup)
Rice vinegar (1/4 cup)
Peanuts (coarsely chopped; ¼ cup)
Chicken Tacos Recipe Directions:
- Combine shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, sliced green onions, shredded carrot, and snipped cilantro in a medium bowl. If you want, you can add chopped peanuts too.
- Now, add rice vinegar and toss all the ingredients gently so that they are coated well with vinegar.
- Squeeze juice from one lime half, which will be about 1 tablespoon. Cut the remaining half into wedges. Keep aside.
- Take a bowl and combine chicken, garlic shallot, and cilantro in it. Add chili sauce, pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, and I tablespoon of lime juice and stir well. Now, cover the mixture and put in refrigerator for one hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Cook the chicken mixture for 5 minutes over medium-high heat or until all the ingredients are cooked well. Don’t forget to stir the mixture occasionally while cooking.
- Layer two tortillas and top with chicken mixture and cabbage slaw. Repeat the process with the remaining pair of tortillas.
- Garnish with lime wedges and chopped peanuts sprinkled on the tacos. Serve with the remaining slaw.
Helpful Chicken Tacos Tips”
- If you are very health conscious, you can save calories by using one corn tortilla per taco.
- Instead of making cabbage slaw, you can use prepackaged coleslaw mix with the tacos.
We love these variations on chicken taco recipes from Delish.com.
These lime tacos look soo good!
This healthy lunch item is very easy to put together as most of the ingredients are regular items found in your fridge. The marinade, which does not get reduced much during the cooking, adds rich flavors to the tacos. The sprinkled peanuts add tiny bits of texture, which tastes great on each bite.
For more healthy recipes on Stagetecture, click here.