Who can resist chocolate mint cookie bars? St. Patrick’s Day is almost here and this dessert is perfect. That’s right the national day of green has crept upon us at last, the wonderful St. Patrick’s Day Desserts for all to enjoy! And what better way to enjoy any holiday like this but with food. Now typically you will want to get off to an early start on your St. Patrick’s Day with a strong breakfast but here is a recipe to a treat to enjoy for the entire day or for dessert.
St. Patrick’s Day Desserts: Chocolate-Mint Cookie Bars
Chocolate Mint Ingredients:
1 Pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) of Sugar Cookie Mix
1/2 cup chocolate powder
½ cup of Butter, softened
1 teaspoon of Green Food Coloring
1 container of (12 oz) Whipped Cream Frosting
3 teaspoons of Peppermint or Mint Extract
1 bag (or 2 cups) of (12 oz) Dark Chocolate Chips
¼ cup of Candy Sprinkles
Chocolate Mint Cookie Bars Directions:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Then line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, take out a large bowl and stir the cookie mix, chocolate powder, butter, egg, food coloring and the 2 teaspoons of the peppermint or mint extract until the mixture forms into a soft dough. With a tablespoon, scoop out tablespoon sized dough onto the cookie sheet.
- After the sheet has been filled then set it into the oven for 8-11 minutes or until golden around the edges. Then take out the cookie sheet and let it cool for 2 minutes then remove each cookie from the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack to thoroughly cool.
- Take out a medium sized bowl, mix in the frosting along with the remainder of the 1 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract. For each cookie sandwich you want to spread a considerable amount of frosting on the bottom of 1 cookie then top it with the second cookie bottom side down; and gently press together.
- With a small microwavable bowl, microwave the chocolate chips uncovered on High for approx. 1 minute or until they are melted. Be sure to stir and if you need to microwave more then do it at 15 second intervals. After the chips have melted take a cookie sandwich and dip one side, halfway into the melted chocolate and spread the sprinkles over it. Place on cooking parchment paper and let it stand.
- When chocolate has dried, then enjoy!
*For more fun with this St. Patrick’s Dessert, try setting a few of the cookies in a bowl or on a plate and top it with green ice cream. If you don’t have the peppermint extract then vanilla will do just fine and for the sprinkles see if you can find and use some in the shapes of shamrocks! What St. Patrick’s day desserts will you try this year?
This St. Patricks Irish Creme Chocolate Cheesecake would be perfect too!
For more St. Patrick’s Day ideas on Stagetecture, click here.